Here are a few other things I remember about Dale:
- No meeting would start with Dale unless he had his cup of coffee.
- Always asking: Did we capture the physics of the problem? How do we know this? What are we measuring? What are we comparing it to?
- He used to work late, especially in the early years. And I knew this because emails would be timestamped at 3 or 4am.
- When he finished his Ph.D., the job market was not very good. I asked him what he would do, he said he would work construction until he did find something. I was very impressed by that answer…no work was beneath him.
- I remember his love of fly fishing and the outdoors and the weeks he would be gone camping – there would be no reply from Dale during that time.
- Even though he had trouble reading the laptop screen, he would still set it at an extremely high resolution and squint and take off his glasses to see the screen. I used to chuckle at that. Now I do the same….