This article by engineers at TechnipFMC Process Technology and Suncor Energy, discusses an FCC regenerator revamp at the Suncor Edmonton refinery, aimed to incorporate advanced design features to mitigate operational challenges and improve reliability.
A fluid catalytic cracking unit (FCCU) is critical to the performance of many refineries, providing flexibility to process a wide variety of feedstocks with customizable selectivity producing a wide range of products. Conversely, an underperforming FCCU can negatively influence the performance and economics of the entire refinery.
CPFD’s Barracuda Virtual Reactor has become the standard tool for increasing the reliability and performance of FCCUs. Whether you are a refiner or technology licensor, Barracuda Virtual Reactor is the simulation tool of choice to analyze all major components of the FCCU including the regenerator, stripper, riser, cyclones systems, and standpipes.
Typical simulation objectives include:
- Determining root cause of underperformance
- Reducing turnaround risk through virtual testing
- Identifying additional optimization opportunities
- Enabling rapid, informed technology development and scale-up
- Maintaining operational readiness through digital assets
Refiners rely on CPFD’s software technology, services, and consulting to address issues such as:
- Emissions (NOx, SOx, CO, etc.)
- Catalyst losses
- Catalyst circulation stability
- Gas / catalyst uniformity / maldistribution
- Stripper / standpipe pressure balance
- Feed distribution, vaporization, and riser performance
- Pressure balance and throughput limitations
- Technology design and evaluation
FCCU Riser Simulation
This project delivered an excellent outcome, giving us confidence that specific hardware changes would restore the operation of our Cracker to the level we expect – which it did. Our…
The [CPFD results] actually takes what’s going on in [my mind] – and sometimes even better – and puts it in such a manner so that everybody can actually see…
Ray Fletcher, FCC Technology Specialist at Johnson Matthey, describes some of the challenges faced when attempting to troubleshoot FCC regenerators and how Barracuda Virtual Reactor helps him to overcome those…
FCCU Regenerator Simulation
Barracuda Virtual Reactor solutions for FCCU applications are accelerated by NVIDIA GPU and Multi-GPU technology.